06 Aug Those who are called
In Ephesians 4:1 Paul urges us Christians “to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called.”
Let us get a glimpse of the Calling from the book of Ephesians:
- God chose us for himself before the world was created. Ephesians 1:4
- He predestined us to be his children — and that means heirs of all our Father owns! – Ephesians 1:5
- He sent Christ to atone for all our trespasses. – Ephesians 1:7
- He sealed us with his Holy Spirit to preserve us forever. – Ephesians 1:13
- He promises to spend an eternity increasing our joy in the immeasurable riches of his grace. – Ephesians 2:7
- He has given us the mission as a church to display His wisdom even to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places.- Ephesians 3:10
The focus is not on our worth but on the worth of our calling. The privilege and purpose of our Christian calling is greater than the privilege and purpose of any other office on earth. Our Calling is from God the Almighty Creator, Sustainer and Provider.
Unity and Maturity in the Body of Christ (Ephesians 4:1-6)
(What is the kind of unity that will bring honour and credit to our high calling?) As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Instruction to young Timothy – 2Timothy 2:24
And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.
Peacemaker – Mathew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
Characteristics of those who are called – Why don’t you add some more?
- I am not on the gossip train
- I will bring those around me on the journey
- I will serve the Lord with gladness
- This is not my job – This is my life
- I am an example
- I am a servant
- I communicate hope
- I live in unity
- I follow the Word of God
- I will never neglect the work of the Lord with any excuses such as birthdays, anniversaries.